!Let's Talk! Button

Poison Prevention Week

March 15, 2022
Poison Prevention Week starts March 20th. Poisoning is one of the biggest risks to our furry friends. Many animals like to chew things, which is one concern. Pets also instinctively lick their fur and paws clean. Unfortunately, that means they can easily ingest any toxins they have walked through or spilled on their fur. A Bend, OR vet offers some information on poison prevention below.

Common Poisons

First and foremost, it’s important to be aware of the common dangers. Chemical products are a big concern. Some of these include; automotive products, especially antifreeze; household cleaning agents; fungicides; paint; turpentine; and fertilizers. Pesticides and rodenticides are a particular concern. Many of these contain bromethalin, which is extremely dangerous to pets and has no known antidote. Medication is also a huge risk. This includes both prescription and OTC meds, such as anti-cancer drugs, cold medicine, anti-anxiety meds, and sleep aids. As far as food, garlic, onion, chocolate, avocado, mushrooms, grapes and raisins (for dogs and cats), and anything containing xylitol is unsafe. For plants, there are too many to list here, but some of the more common ones are Sago palms, azaleas, autumn crocuses, cyclamens, and lilies. You can find a full list of safe and unsafe plants at the ASPCA site online here.

Symptoms

Keep an eye out for warning signs. Some of these include vomiting, diarrhea, trembling, seizures, pale gums, rapid heartbeat, drooling, lethargy, agitation, collapse, and restlessness. Act immediately if you notice anything amiss!

Prevention

Simple precautions can go a long way here. Keep any and all chemicals and medications in secured cabinets. If you are applying a product, such as a fertilizer, keep your pet out of that area until you’re done, and water the ground down after, so it soaks into the earth. Be sure to only put pet-safe plants in your home, and take care not to let your furry bff eat anything unsafe.

What To Do

We recommend keeping a pet first-aid kit on hand. This should include both hydrogen peroxide and activated charcoal, as well as some first-aid pamphlets. However, don’t use these things without professional direction. If you know or suspect your pet has ingested poison, the first thing to do is call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680. (Charges may apply.) Do you have questions about your pet’s health or care? Contact us, your Bend, OR animal clinic, anytime!
  • All
  • Uncategorized