!Let's Talk! Button

Halloween Safety for Pets

October 15, 2020

Halloween is just around the corner. Just like any other holiday, Halloween can be dangerous for our furry friends. Pet owners will want to take a few precautions to keep their animal companions safe and healthy over the next few weeks. Read on as a local Bend, OR vet discusses some safety concerns for pet owners to be aware of as Halloween approaches. 


Costumes

Some dogs are very easygoing, and won’t mind being dressed up as a dinosaur, pirate, spider, or taco. Others get very uneasy in clothes. Don’t force your canine pal to wear a costume if he seems uncomfortable in it. Also, if you do put your pet in clothing, make sure that it fits well, and is not tight, hot, itchy, or restricting. 


Traffic

There is often increased traffic around the autumn holiday. While you may not see quite as much of this in 2020 as you would most years, it is still something to be cautious about. Keep your dog on a leash whenever you take him off your property. As for cats, we recommend keeping them indoors, especially around Halloween.


Candy 

Sweet treats are a big part of autumn celebrations. However, those candies are not safe for pets. Many contain things that are actually toxic to Fido and Fluffy, such as chocolate, nuts, raisins, and xylitol. Hard candies also present choking hazards, as do plastic wrappers. Keep the candy bowl in a spot your four-legged pal can’t reach. 


Decorations

Dogs and cats are very playful, which is one of the many things we love about them. However, Fido and Fluffy don’t know what is and isn’t safe for them to play with. Anything small or sharp is a no-no, as are items with dangling cords. 


Fires

Candles, fireplaces, potpourri burners, and even crockpots are all dangerous to pets. Fido could easily knock a candle over with his tail and start a fire! Don’t put these things in spots your animal friend can access. 


Other Hazards

Toxic plants are also a concern at this time of year. Chrysanthemums, mushrooms, and many other types of autumn foliage are poisonous to our furry friends. Chemicals, such as fertilizers and antifreeze, are also a hazard. Pets can get sick just by walking through a patch and licking their paws! 



Please contact us, your Bend, OR vet hospital, anytime. We are happy to be of assistance! 

  • All
  • Uncategorized